As a parent, I’m sure you’ll agree that good dental hygiene starts early in life. From the myriad of choices that are available in the market today, it can be a daunting task to choose the right toothpaste for your little one. And when we say right, we mean ‘safe’ and ‘devoid of harmful chemicals’.
Most of us tend to purchase children’s toothpaste that can be found at conventional grocery stores. But before you actually set out to do that take a step back and remember this handy list of ingredients that you must absolutely avoid in kids toothpaste. We’ve got to be extra careful with toothpaste, since it is something that goes is those little mouths & always carries a risk to be swallowed.
Here is a quick look at what goes in commercial toothpaste.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) –The journal of the American College of Toxicology reports that SLS can penetrate and be retained in the eye, brain, heart, and liver with potentially harmful long-term effects. (We also recommend you must read about the toxic dirty dozen.)
- Flouride –We all tell our kids not to swallow the toothpaste but the small molecules enter the blood stream through mucous membranes in the mouth, and build up in the liver, kidneys, heart, lungs, and tissues. Besides, humans can have perfectly good teeth without fluoride.
- Synthetic Dyes – These are derived from petroleum or coal tar and have come under greater scientific and government scrutiny due to their carcinogenic and mutagenic activity. These can trigger a wide number of behavioral, learning, and health problems.
It’s about time we look for a healthier alternative to protect our toddlers pearly whites!
NaturalMantra.com is happy to recommend Jason Natural Kids Only toothpaste. Made with Organic ingredients, this toothpaste is not only FREE OF TOXIC CHEMICALS, but it also has calcium carbonate, which keeps teeth clean and healthy!
Tips for healthy oral regime
Make brushing a fun exercise, a little adventure you’ve set out to catch the little germies that are after the pearly whites. Trust me brushing will never really be a battle. Make your little one want to experience this adventure. Try the orange & strawberry flavours to keep the kids coming back for more!
Once you get a healthy, non-toxic toothpaste, be sure to try these techniques to ensure your toddler is brushing right.
- While adults need a pea-size amount of toothpaste, kids need even less. Just a smear will do. That’s it! Really!
- Let your kids brush their own teeth (and hunt the germies down) but assist them (always), or take turns brushing their teeth till they master the technique.
- Older kids may benefit from using a timer. Get them used to brushing for 2 minutes.
- Kids are more prone to cavities. Habituate them to use a good brushing form to clean every surface of every tooth.
- Avoid the sweet stuff at night. Stay away from the cola’s, chocolates, juices especially at night. It will help 🙂
- We recommend brushing twice a day however never skip the nighttime. Yes, it’s that important!
Here’s what Tina Datta, Co-Founder of NaturalMantra.com and a mother of a 5-year-old daughter has to say “For my girl, it’s a clear rule in the house, no going to bed without brushing. We’ve followed this routine, ever since my daughter was less than a year old. I personally believe that this habit has been a very important reason, why I’ve never had to take her for cavity trips to the dentist. Yes, we do visit the dentist, but it’s really only for a check-up. Needless to say we’ve always only used a natural toothpaste.”
In our fast paced lives, a sustainable lifestyle shouldn’t be a struggle, but it sometimes is. Our online e-commerce provides the largest selection of natural, organic and eco-friendly products in India making it accessible and affordable to all. Founded by parents, NaturalMantra.com helps you choose from a wide selection of safe, healthy non-toxic products, all at one place delivered to your door! Not every product makes it to NaturalMantra.com but the ones who do make it through our selection criteria.
We love hearing for you and encourage you to leave us a comment and connect with us here:
Facebook : Facebook.com/NaturalMantra ;
Pinterest : http://pinterest.com/naturalmantra/
Email : email@example.com
Contact us: +91-7738286021
Our information sources:
Naturemoms.com: We thank Tiffany for her valuable insights into the harmful nature of store-bought toothpaste.
Gum-disease-cure.com: Useful tips for choosing the right toothpaste & teaching children how to brush.
As a parent, we always want the best for our children and when it comes to their health there’s absolutely no compromise.