Summer 2014 is upon us and we are already feeling the heat! More than the heat, our energy levels seem to dipping when we are outdoors and that’s never good. Who wants to feel sluggish on a working day or a trip to the mall? No one! So instead of reaching out for sugary and calorific sodas and canned energy drinks, why not discover the super fruit, the Acai Berry? It made it to Oprah Winfrey’s Top 10 Super Foods list on her talk show and Brad Pitt is known to like the super berry too. So what is this miracle berry all about? It looks just like other berries, but it is a power packed energy and health booster. The acai tree is a type of palm tree that is native to the Amazon rainforest region in Brazil. It grows over 15 meters in height and produces small, dark purple berries. Brazilian natives discovered the healing properties of the acai berry thousands of years ago, especially its energy boosting powers when consumed regularly.
Brazilians have nicknamed this super fruit the Beauty Berry because it has so many compounds that make the body feel and look better from the inside out. Its combination of antioxidants, amino acids and omega fatty acids also aid in slowing down the aging process by boosting immune and metabolic function and removing destructive free radicals from our bodies. Among the berries’ many antioxidants is one particular one called anthocyanin, which is supposed to be the driving force behind acai’s free-radical and age-fighting powers. It’s common in fruits with rich red and purple colors, like grapes and other berries, but acai has far more than any other food. Experts believe that the acai’s ORAC level (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) is over 3,500 which is hundreds of times higher than your average fruits like apples and bananas.
The little acai berry packs more grams of protein than an egg, which should make vegetarians very happy. When combined with its host of omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids, acai has been shown to improve the look and texture of your hair, skin and nails. It is also known to aid weight loss as its consumption revs up metabolism and improves digestive health. Today, the most common form of acai is the juice, which the Amazon inhabitants make by softening and crushing the ripe berry, skin and all. If you travel to Brazil, you can enjoy a bowl of frozen acai, blended and topped with pieces of banana and granola. Acai is also sold by vendors on the beaches and served like ice cream. But now, we at Natural Mantra, have brought this berry right to your doorstep. If you want to incorporate acai into your daily diet, all you need to do is shop on Natural Mantra and get back your energy levels and improve your overall health!
TOP 5 BENEFITS OF THE ACAI BERRY:
1. BOOSTS ENERGY LEVELS: Due its overall health benefits, consuming acai berries can lead to an increased overall level of energy and stamina, and combats fatigue and exhaustion. Whenever you need a boost, simply eat a handful of berries and you will be ready to go in no time!
2. LOWERS CHOLESTROL: Acai Berries are rich in an antioxidant known as anthocyanins. Antioxidants combat and neutralize destructive free radicals. They are also rich in plant sterols that provide cardio-protective benefits to our cells. It does this by preventing blood clots, improving overall blood circulation, and relaxing the blood vessels.
3. HEALTHIER HAIR AND SKIN: Regular consumption of the berries promotes healthier hair and skin. They contain high levels of zinc which helps in the proper functioning of the enzymes which are required by the body to repair skin wounds and reduce stubborn acne outbreaks, lessen stretch marks, improve dandruff and even eradicate white spots on fingernails. The vitamin A content helps skin to retain its natural moisture which maintains glowing and healthy skin without dry patches, psoriasis and even wrinkling.
4. COMBATS PRE-MATURE AGING: The berries minimize free radicals, combat pre-mature aging and give a boost to the immune system. This is because it’s a great source of vitamins and minerals like selenium and vitamin A and anthocyanins, that all help to fight off disease and rid the body of harmful toxins. Specifically high levels of vitamin A and selenium have been shown to increase white blood cells in the body which are responsible for attacking ‘foreign’ invaders, whilst its anti-oxidant properties help to prevent harmful free radicals from damaging the body by causing premature aging or in the worst case scenario cancer. It also improves metabolism, making you shed the extra pounds naturally.
5. FIBER AND OMEGA FATTY ACIDS: Acai Berry is an excellent source of fiber. Fiber promotes a healthy digestive system. Research studies suggest soluble fibers helps in lowering blood cholesterol. These berries contain multiple Omega Fatty Acids – Omega 9, Omega 6, and Omega 3. These mono-saturated essential fatty acids help lower LDL (harmful cholesterol) while maintaining HDL (beneficial cholesterol). This unique ratio resembles the same combination as olive oil. Studies suggest this is a contributing factor to the low rate of heart disease in Mediterranean regions.
Buy it! Try it! Feel the change!