Our bodies crave cooling fluids in the summer and instead of reaching out for sodas and artificially flavored drinks, we should hydrate our bodies with foods that contain a lot of water, like the Cucumber. Cucumbers have an impressive amount of water (about 95%) that is naturally distilled, which makes it superior to ordinary water. Its skin contains a high percentage of vitamin A, so that should not be peeled off and eaten as well. Cucumber contains alkaline-forming minerals and is an excellent source of vitamin C and A (anti-oxidants), folate, manganese, molybdenum, potassium, silica, sulfur, and lesser amounts of vitamin B complex, sodium, calcium, and phosphorus. Cucumbers are easy to eat raw and on-the-go, in our fast-paced lives.
Benefits of eating Cucumbers every day:
- Calories in cucumbers are very low and it contains just 15 grams of calories per 100 grams. It contains no saturated fats or cholesterol. Daily consumption of cucumbers is regarded as a remedy for chronic constipation.
- Cucumber peel is a very good source of dietary fibre that helps to reduce constipation, indigestion and prevents stomach related diseases by eliminating toxic compounds from the gut. It also has healing attributes in relation to the diseases of urinary bladder and kidney. The water content in cucumber aids the function of kidney by promoting urination. Regular consumption of cucumber can also dissolve kidney stones over time.
- Digestive problems like heartburn, acidity, gastritis and even ulcer can be cured by daily consumption of cucumber or cucumber juice. It can also treat the problem of constipation. It contains an enzyme called Erepsin which aids in the digestion of protein.
- Cucumber seeds are considered a natural remedy to eliminate tape worm from intestinal tracts. The seeds also have anti inflammatory properties which are effective in the treatment of swellings of mucous membranes of the nose and throat.
- Cucumbers are one of the best sources of potassium and contain 147 milligrams of potassium per 100 grams. This heart friendly electrolyte reduces blood pressure levels in the body and reduces heart rate by minimising the effects of sodium.
- Cucumbers contain a good amount of antioxidants like B carotene, a carotene, zea-xanthin and lutein. These compounds scavenge against free radicals that lead to ageing and other age related diseases.
- Fresh cucumber extracts are also known to reduce unwanted inflammation. It accomplishes the task by inhabiting activity of pro inflammatory enzymes like cyclo-oxyenase and by preventing over production of nitric oxides which leads to excessive inflammation.
- Cucumber juice contains hormones which are needed by the pancreas for producing insulin which is extremely beneficial to diabetic patients. Copper in cucumber also aids to produce healthy blood cells and improves blood circulation in the body
- Cucumbers are known to contain lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol. These 3 lignans are strongly connected with reducing the risk of developing several kinds of cancer like breast cancer, colon cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer and prostate cancer. When we consume these lignans, bacteria found in our digestive tract take hold of these lignans and convert them into enterolignans. These enterolignans bind on to the estrogens receptors to reduce estrogens related diseases like cancer.
- Cucumbers also combat bad breath. The vegetable releases phytochemical which kill the bad breath causing bacteria. Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of the mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds. The phytochemicals will kill the bacteria responsible for causing bad breath. Raw cucumber increases salivation and brings a neutralisation of acids and alkali in oral cavity. Cucumber juice can effectively treat gum diseases like pyorrhoea and weak gums.
- Hangovers and headaches can be eased and cured by eating cucumbers. This is because they help to rehydrate the body’s nutrients and eliminate the toxins that are present due to the intake of alcohol. Eat few cucumber slices before going to bed. The sugar, vitamin B and electrolytes content in cucumber will reduce the intensity of hangover and headache.
- Cucumbers have mild diuretic properties owing to its high potassium and water content. It also has a good amount of manganese, potassium and fibre which regulates the blood pressure and treats both high and low blood pressure. Steam produced while boiling cucumber acts as a stress reliever and calms and relaxes the senses and muscles.
- Cucumbers contain 95% water which hydrates and replenishes the body by eliminating the toxins. The high water content in cucumber acts as a system cleanser and sweeps the waste products out of the system.
- The Vitamin K in cucumbers plays a very important role in strengthening bones by promoting orthotropic activity. The high amount of silica in it promotes joint health by strengthening the connective tissue. It is also a good source of calcium making it perfect for vegan diet. Getting enough calcium also maintains the body’s hormone balance by controlling hormone release.
- Copper in cucumbers help people to make neurotransmitters, the family of chemicals, which brain needs to communicate. It also helps in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease by limiting neutral damage in the brain.
Benefits of Cucumber for your SKIN:
Almost all hair and skin care products are manufactured using cucumber as one of its main ingredients. The raw fruit is also used in many beauty parlours in facial processes to reduce wrinkles and puffiness around the eyes. Some of the major skin benefits of cucumber are:
- The greatest and most important skin benefit of cucumber is revitalisation of the skin. Facial masks containing cucumber juice are beneficial for skin tightening.
- It has a mild bleaching property which can reverse skin tanning and get youthful and glowing skin.
- If you are worried about eye puffiness then cucumbers can provide you with instant relief. The ascorbic acid and caffeic acid in cucumber brings down the water retention rate which in turn diminishes the swelling and puffiness around the yes.
- Putting cucumber slices or puree on sunburnt skin brings instant relief. Thus cucumber is a natural and gentle way to treat sun burns.
- The most common use of cucumber pulp and juice is to improve complexion and rejuvenate the skin. Mix cucumber juice with a few drop of lemon juice and apply it as a facial mask. This will improve the complexion and will add a glow to the skin.
- You can also use cucumbers to treat open pores. Extract cucumber juice and use it as a toner. You can also mix it with apple cider vinegar, tomato pulp and Aloe Vera gel to make it more effective.
- Putting cucumber slices around your eyes reduces the appearance of dark circles quickly. The abundance of antioxidants and silica within the cucumber can rejuvenate the skin and fade dark circles. Place 2 slices of cucumbers on the eyes and leave it for 20 minutes or you can also soak 2 cotton balls in cucumber juice and place them on your eyes.
- You can use grated cucumbers to treat freckles and blemishes. Apply cucumber juice all over the face to treat freckles and spots.
Benefits of Cucumber for your HAIR:
- The most important benefit of cucumber for hair is its hair strengthening properties. Cucumber in the form of the juice contributes to the hair growth primarily due to its content of silicon, sulphur sodium, phosphorus and calcium which are some of the most needed nutrients required for hair growth. Drink cucumber juice daily to control hair fall.
- Cucumber juice can also be used as a hair rinse to get silky and shiny hair. It conditions the hair and makes it more manageable.
Choose cucumbers that are dark green in color and firm to your touch. Avoid those that are yellowish or are wrinkled at either end. Thinner cucumbers have fewer seeds than those that are thicker. Store cucumbers in the fridge to retain their freshness. Cut and sliced cucumbers should be kept in an air-tight container in the fridge and consumed within a day or two.
Whenever possible, buy Organic Cucumbers as they may be waxed or have pesticides otherwise.