There is a charming legend about Gogi Berries. It is said that China’s first emperor credited the precious gogi berry for his long life. This is why it is also known as “The Longevity Berry.” Goji Berries, or Wolfberries, are one of the most prized super fruits in the Asian tradition. Because they are very delicate, they cannot be picked by hand, but gently shaken off the vine. Traditional Chinese folk medicine uses them to cure many ailments. Juicy Goji berries have been used to promote vitality and well-being.
Unique, Precious Gogi Berries
Perhaps the most nutrionally-rich fruit on earth, they contain all essential amino acids,Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Iron. Gogi berries also have the highest concentration of protein of any fruit,Vitamins B1, B2, B6, Vitamin E, carotenoids and a host of antioxidants!
They are loaded with 21 trace minerals, and are high in fiber. There’s more!! With 15 times the amount of iron found in spinach, as well as calcium, zinc, selenium amongst other important trace minerals, the humble gogi berry is truly unique.
They have recently been introduced in Western countries, the bright, red Goji Berries have been used for thousands of years in China, both as a culinary ingredient and medicinally.
Amazing Benefits in Medicine & Food
Gogi Berries benefit you many ways:
- Natural anti-inflammatory
- Anti-fungal compounds
- Antioxidant properties and polysaccharides that help boost the immune system.
- Helps relieve lower back pain, dizziness
- Improves eyesight
- Promotes youth, good health, cancer-fighting abilities and an increased sex drive
- As a food, dried gogi are traditionally cooked before consumption
- They are used as a leaf vegetable
- The berries are also boiled as a herbal tea, often along with crysanthemum
- They are used to make various wines, some of them blended with grape wine.
- Gogi berries added to smoothies, yogurt, salads, desserts or baked goods.
- They are used to make sauces, spreads or jams.
- Dried gojis make a great snack eaten as is, added to muesli or oatmeal.
Natural & Organic gogi that you can buy here, can also be soaked for a couple of hours in enough water to cover them. Then the soak water can be drained off and makes a delicious drink.
Caution: There can be adverse interactions if you consume goji berries while also taking medication for diabetes, or blood pressure, or take some blood thinners.