It’s that time of the year when everybody’s a bit under the weather. Chances are you and your colleagues will be struck down with cold, cough and sore throat at some point over the coming months, probably more than once.
No worries, here are some remedies recommended for cough & cold to help you feel better fast if you do get sick:
Here are some steps or cures must-have for cold:
Although it’s not a very serious virus, the common cold can make you feel miserable. The key to curing a cold fast is early detection. If you think you’ve contracted a cold, you need to take precautionary measures immediately.
- Lemon Green Tea:One of the easiest, cheapest and most effective ways to boost the immune system – high in antioxidants and vitamin C, drinking lemon juice or lemon tea regularly helps to fight off disease and illness.
- Decongestants: Taken by mouth or up your nose – can help too, relieving that blocked up feeling and clearing out your sinus cavities. Most cold and flu remedy pills and hot drinks will have some kind of decongestant in them. Herbal teas, such as Tulsi and peppermint, are a good option, as they are soothing and hydrating.
- Eating, Drinking & Resting: During cold, one must maintain a low fat, high- fiber diet, including fresh fruits and vegetables. Also include herbs & spices like Pippali, Shati, Gudhuchi, Aswaghandha, Shatavari, and Cardamom in your diet.
During cold you tend to have a running nose and sweat a lot, you tend to lose a lot of fluids. It is recommended to hydrate you to replenish the lost fluids. Taking ample amount of rest is recommended for faster recovery.
- Vitamin C:Vitamin C has been long known for its preventing properties, recent researches have shown that it can be used to shorten cold durations. You can up your intake by having fruits or green leafy vegetables that have high amounts of Vitamin C.
If the cold still persist for more than a day, worsening your condition, it is advised to go see a doctor.
Coughing can be caused by a viral infection in the respiratory tract. Other causes are allergies, like pollens irritate the immune system. The immune system reacts to them by creating chemical called histamine.
Symptoms to watch out for:
Due to the infections in the respiratory tract the body develops aches and fever, which are not caused in allergies. If you develop a fever, it is advisable to go to a doctor. Other symptoms can be violent cough or you produce thick, bad smelling off color phlegm.
Cures for cough:
- Honey:Researchers have conducted to find that raw wild honey is not only effective for sore throat but it can prevent cough. The oldest remedy is mixing honey with warm water and lemon green tea. While honey soothes the throat, lemon can help with congestion.
- Tulsi:Tulsi plant has been used in Ayurveda for thousands of years due to its incomparable healing properties. Tulsi Extract leaves is considered to be the best remedy for curing common colds and coughs. It contains certain biologically active compounds that help your immune system to mediate responses against pathogens, and speed up recovery. It also has essential oils like camphene, eugenol and cineole that relieve chest congestion and naturally helps expel accumulated mucus or phlegm from the chest. Tulsi also has a potent antibacterial property that prevents further development of bacterial respiratory infections.
- Peppermint:Peppermint leaves and Tulsi extract are both well known for their healing properties. Menthol in peppermint soothes the throat and acts as a decongestant, helping to break down mucus. You can benefit by drinking peppermint tea, or by inhaling peppermint vapors from a steam bath. To make a steam bath, drop three to four drops of peppermint oil mixed for every 150 milliliters (mL) of hot water. Drape a towel over your head, and take deep breaths directly above the water.
- Chyawanprash:Since ancient times chyawanprash is called the ‘BALM OF IMMORTALITY’ in India. It prevents cold and cough by activating and strengthening the immune system of the body, thereby increasing the body’s resistance. It may contain herbs & spices like Pippali, Shati, Gudhuchi, Aswaghandha, Shatavari, and Cardamom etc.
As well as learning how to treat that lingering cough, sore throat and runny nose, you might also want to learn how to prevent them in the first place. To prevent against flu, make sure you take the following preventive measures:
- Wash your hands as often as possible.
- Keep cold and flu germs off surfaces, which can easily pass from person to person, or from surface to person.
- Exercise for immunity.
- Take annual flu shots under a doctor’s supervision.
Prevention is the key. We advise you staying in the best possible health year-round. Do the basics – eat right, sleep right, exercise, and wash your hands frequently.