This monsoon, open your doors and windows to joy,
Not to an unclean home filled with diseases & odour!
Have you ever heard the quote – One man’s friend, is another man’s foe!
We’d like to begin our blog on home safety this monsoon by drawing an analogy with this quote.
You know how kids enjoy playing in puddles and couples love taking romantic walks under one umbrella during the rains. But for a housewife, there is no play and no romance in monsoon, but a messy home filled with a musty smell, damp clothes, insects and bacteria!
Today, we will turn that around and tell you how even a home-maker can stop worrying and start enjoying the monsoons!
Let us start by discussing the main problems that occur on a typical rainy day:
– Damp clothes that refuse to dry for days together, leaving you with musty smelling clothes
– Footprints filled with mud and leaking umbrellas and rain-coats
– Stained carpets filled with moisture and mud
– Breeding mosquitoes in damp areas of the house
– Leaking walls and roof
– Diseases caused by insects and bacteria
– Silver fish in wardrobes
– Drain clogging
We could have added more to the list, but then these are the major pain-points. So now we come to the part where we tell you how you can deal with them. Here goes:
– Damp Clothes: After washing your clothes, put them on hangers. Buy those portable cloth-hanging stands and place the hangers on them. Now put this stand in one of your empty rooms and switch on the fan at full speed. As for the musty smell, use some natural clothes freshener that will also act as a conditioner for clothes.
– Footprints, stained carpets with leaking clothes & rainy-wear: Roll away your wool and other expensive carpets and instead, spread out decorative bamboo mat, coir mat or synthetic mat. Before putting away your expensive carpets, roll them in plastic sheets so that moisture doesn’t get through it.
Keep a bucket at the entrance of your house where your family or guests can dump their rainy-wear before entering the house
Roll out use-and-throw door-mats where they can wipe their muddy footwear
– Mosquitoes and Insects: Monsoons create breeding grounds for various disease-causing insects that find a way into our homes. Keep your home safe from these insects without the suffocating smoke of repellants. Instead, try the Freshener Oils from Natural Mantra that are effective combinations of Essential Oils from wood, leaves & grass. They help naturally to offset odour and freshen up surrounding. It has anti bacterial properties and helps clean and deodorize air.
– Power-cuts: Power-cuts are not an unusual phenomenon during the monsoons. It is annoying and unpleasant, though most of us have chargeable batteries handy for such times.
But here is a quick way to turn the power-cut into a beautiful evening. Light up your house with aromatic candles and beautiful candle-stands.
– Leaking walls and roof: If some walls are damp, get them waterproofed. The terrace can also be waterproofed. Get the drainage cleaned up as they tend to clog during the monsoon by filling up with mud, leaves and dirt. Seal the cracks formed in your walls and windows so that rain water doesn’t enter your home. Fill gaps between sliding windows with rubber lining to keep water from seeping through on a windy, rainy day. If you have metal surfaces that you suspect could get rusty, treat them with a waterproofing spray.
– Silver fish in wardrobes: You can use naphthalene balls in your closet which will protect your clothes and other valuable things from moisture as well as insects. Alternatively, you can put Neem leaves as it prevents silver fish to enter your cupboards in monsoon and can use cloves to keep insects away from your clothes.
-Drain clogging: Get the drainage cleaned up as they tend to clog during the monsoon by filling up with mud, leaves and dirt. Ensure that the water drains on your roof are working well; otherwise water may stagnate on the roof and start seeping through the ceiling and walls.
This may seem overwhelming and a lot to do, but with a little planning and help from your family members, you can easily make your home a healthy home this monsoon. Now the rainy evenings will no more be morose and filled with cleaning and tidying. Let your hair down and enjoy sipping some hot chai with pakoras the next time the Rain-Gods shower you with their love!
You can buy a lot of home-care products that will help you in keeping your home clean and fresh from the comfort of your home through Natural Mantra. Visit this link to place your order!http://bit.ly/ViNPsQ
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
In our fast paced lives, a sustainable lifestyle shouldn’t be a struggle, but it sometimes is. Our online e-commerce provides the largest selection of natural, organic and eco-friendly products in India making it accessible and affordable to all. Founded by parents, NaturalMantra.com helps you choose from a wide selection of safe, healthy non-toxic products, all at one place delivered to your door! Not every product makes it to NaturalMantra.com but the ones who do make it through our selection criteria.
We love hearing for you and encourage you to leave us a comment and connect with us here:
Facebook : facebook.com/NaturalMantra
Pinterest : http://pinterest.com/naturalmantra/
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact us: +91-7738286021